On the Title

Roi-Et a.k.a. "101" is a city in the northeast of Thailand. I spent more than "One Night in Bangkok," and was on my way to Roi-Et. It wasn't my final destination in Thailand, but the place where I grew the most. I gained a tolerance for spicy food, and learned a little dialect called Essan-- a mixture of Laos and Thai. I learned that it's not the destination but the journey that matters. Just as random as my adventures were in Thailand, so is my life--it's like living in L.A. (oh by the way L.A. is another nickname for Roi-Et).

Wednesday, January 16, 2008

My Pink Umbrella

I figured since the name of my blog references Thailand I should probably write about it.

While I was in Thailand I came to the conclusion that I needed a new umbrella. I was in Roi Et during the rainy season (I think cuz it rained a lot while I was there), and I was without an umbrella. I purchased one in Bangkok--a green one with a duck on it. The umbrella also had a reflective side underneath which was really nice cuz it provided shade and kept me cool in the heat. I let a friend borrow my umbrella while I rode my bike home in the rain. (Hey it's dangerous riding and holding an umbrella at the same time). Needless to say I needed a new umbrella.

As previously mentioned I like the color pink, and several months later I bought a pink umbrella with ruffles. One night I was riding my bike through the streets of Roi Et holding my umbrella across my handlebars. It slipped and went through the spokes. My bike stopped, and I almost flipped over my bike. It was a miracle I didn't. I was more sad about my broken pink ruffly umbrella, and gave up buying umbrellas for awhile.

I like my ruffly umbrella it reminded me of my favorite movie Emma, and that is part of the reason why a bought an umbrella with ruffles. It's just a random scene, but I have seen that movie so many times that I know every little thing about it. In one scene Harriet and Emma are walking down a street, and they see Miss Bates coming towards them. Emma and Harriet hide behind their umbrellas, Emma as a white ruffly one, to avoid Miss Bates telling them about Miss Jane Fairfax. I laugh everytime.

2 comments:

Williams Family Dirt said...

I love that movie too!

Jen Wolff said...

One of my favorites! So will you post pictures?