On the Title

Roi-Et a.k.a. "101" is a city in the northeast of Thailand. I spent more than "One Night in Bangkok," and was on my way to Roi-Et. It wasn't my final destination in Thailand, but the place where I grew the most. I gained a tolerance for spicy food, and learned a little dialect called Essan-- a mixture of Laos and Thai. I learned that it's not the destination but the journey that matters. Just as random as my adventures were in Thailand, so is my life--it's like living in L.A. (oh by the way L.A. is another nickname for Roi-Et).

Sunday, January 20, 2008

The Elephant Stole My Coconut


A few years ago (and after my time in Thailand) I was in a friend's apartment, and she had some coconut shells. It's amazing what the brain recalls, cosidering I have a terrible memory. I remember that I was clapping the hollow shells together, and I blurted out "an elephant stole my coconut!" Of course everybody thought I was crazy, but nobody knew that I was having a flashback.

It is true that a baby elephant assaulted me while crossing a bridge in Chiang Mai, Thailand, and stole what was left of my coconut. I had drank the juice, but there was "meat" left (the fruity part). I was sad because I was going to eat it. The trainer laughed. Those funny tiny Thai men.

I should have known that elephants are never satiated. When we were waiting in line to ride an elephant, we had a bunch of leaves and bananas to feed them, so they would warm up to us and let us on the them. Well, we weren't paying attention when the elephant pulled up, and he (it could have been a her) started to grab our ankles, and attack us with its trunk. I told my mom, or dad, to drop the food to prevent any further mauling. (Apparently Asian elephants are nicer than African, and trainable.) It was like a ride at Disneyland, except the getting attacked part.


I was really sad about my coconut, but as soon as I saw how happy the elephant was I forgot all about my coconut until I was in my friend's apartment. I could have made a purse out of that coconut, or a bra!



What did I learn from this: Never have food that you are planning to eat in front of an elephant.