On the Title

Roi-Et a.k.a. "101" is a city in the northeast of Thailand. I spent more than "One Night in Bangkok," and was on my way to Roi-Et. It wasn't my final destination in Thailand, but the place where I grew the most. I gained a tolerance for spicy food, and learned a little dialect called Essan-- a mixture of Laos and Thai. I learned that it's not the destination but the journey that matters. Just as random as my adventures were in Thailand, so is my life--it's like living in L.A. (oh by the way L.A. is another nickname for Roi-Et).

Tuesday, July 1, 2008

A Piece of History


I've seen quite a bit in my 27 years of life; a lot of history. Just think when I'm dead people will be reading (by then information will be implanted into people's brains) and learning about my generation, and all the crazy things we did. I was alive when the space shuttle Challenger blew up (I remember watching it happening live, or at least I think it was live, before I ran to the bus stop), I heard Ronald Reagan ask Gorbachev to "tear down that wall" (and he did), I wrote to soldiers in the first Iraq/Persian Gulf war, there was Rodney King, and I was forced by my dad to watch the O.J. Simpson car chase (that's two hours I will never get back). The O.J. Simpson trial was huge (that really blew up!). I was a senior when Columbine happened, and that was pretty much the end of my innocence.

Now I am apart of history. Today UVSC (my alma matter) officially becomes UVU, and we finally have an awesome library that is energy efficient, and environmentally safe. It's pretty cool, but I don't even get to enjoy the fruits. I was apart of the transition and all the hullabaloo over the past few years. For the first time I am proud to be a wolverine; before I would say that I go to UVSC with some contempt, as if it was a disease, maybe it's the stigma from being compared to BYU. Now we are out of BYU's shadow and can be our own university, and maybe someday we will have a football team, and the hugest rivalry known to man!