On the Title

Roi-Et a.k.a. "101" is a city in the northeast of Thailand. I spent more than "One Night in Bangkok," and was on my way to Roi-Et. It wasn't my final destination in Thailand, but the place where I grew the most. I gained a tolerance for spicy food, and learned a little dialect called Essan-- a mixture of Laos and Thai. I learned that it's not the destination but the journey that matters. Just as random as my adventures were in Thailand, so is my life--it's like living in L.A. (oh by the way L.A. is another nickname for Roi-Et).

Sunday, August 24, 2008

"L" is for Lacking Logos

Today I watched Clueless, one of my favorite movies, and I realized how familiar one has to be with pop culture to get the subtext. I also realized that it is much like my all-time favorite movie Emma, which it confesses to be about. Yes, I did get the jokes, and (I feel so proud right now) a joke that I didn't get before--amazing how life changes perspective.

Anyways, the reason why I say that I was lacking logos (mostly because it's an "L" word) is because I watched it with my new Korean roommate, who isn't familiar with most of the slang, nor the American pop culture, nor the decade that the story takes place. (I was just starting high school in California when the movie came out, and I can blame Cher for using "like" 20 times in a sentence, for the way I talk. There you go dad! Now you know why I talk the way I do--Cher Horowitz's influence.) My roomie laughed at the right parts which indicated to me that she did get some of it. Afterwards, I asked if she liked it, and she said yes, and I told her that some of it she might not get because you have to be familiar with American pop culture. I don't know . . . maybe it will help her learn English faster, or maybe it will stunt her progression, but whatever the outcome it's a great movie!

3 comments:

Williams Family Dirt said...

You are hilarious...that movie is a little above your level don't you think! Go watch something that will make you think!

Laura said...

You do say "like" a lot. Haha.

Heavy hitter blind litter said...

Props for the philosophy name drop :P

lackinglogos.com