On the Title

Roi-Et a.k.a. "101" is a city in the northeast of Thailand. I spent more than "One Night in Bangkok," and was on my way to Roi-Et. It wasn't my final destination in Thailand, but the place where I grew the most. I gained a tolerance for spicy food, and learned a little dialect called Essan-- a mixture of Laos and Thai. I learned that it's not the destination but the journey that matters. Just as random as my adventures were in Thailand, so is my life--it's like living in L.A. (oh by the way L.A. is another nickname for Roi-Et).

Thursday, August 21, 2008

"K" is for Kraze Times

This week has been a crazy week. One of those transitioning weeks. I've been homeless (actually my junk has been homeless), working from 11-5 (which isn't a lot, I just don't like working that late, I'm a morning person), driving back-and-forth from Provo/Orem to Spanish Fork, and dealing with some faculty/staff changes at work (that's why I've been staying until 5). I'm just glad that I am taking next week off from work so I can mentally (and physically) get ready for student teaching. By then all my unpacking should be done, and I will be able to read through all the information I've been given about ST, finish The Scarlet Letter, write lesson plans, and, especially, read the "The Shafer Writing Program" that MVHS is using. I'd like to think I'm a good writer (my papers reflect that), but my strength lies in literature; I just like to sit and think--deeply--about a text. (Sometimes that's why I always look like I have a blank look on my face because I am thinking about something, most likely it has nothing to do with what you just said to me.) Being able to write is one thing, teaching an adolescent how to do it is another. Writing is an innate ability, but writing effectively isn't--it took me 27 years to figure that out.

2 comments:

LeslieK said...

ugh, I HATED the Schaffer method!!! Good luck..

Kerri Russell said...

no you love it