On the Title

Roi-Et a.k.a. "101" is a city in the northeast of Thailand. I spent more than "One Night in Bangkok," and was on my way to Roi-Et. It wasn't my final destination in Thailand, but the place where I grew the most. I gained a tolerance for spicy food, and learned a little dialect called Essan-- a mixture of Laos and Thai. I learned that it's not the destination but the journey that matters. Just as random as my adventures were in Thailand, so is my life--it's like living in L.A. (oh by the way L.A. is another nickname for Roi-Et).

Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Chili's Potato Cheese Soup and Death Cab for Cutie

Last night I went to the Death Cab for Cutie concert, and it was pretty cool. I got to be an "undercover" security personnel. I guarded the "secure area" (with a real security person, who looked more the part than me) where the bands got their food. I didn't get to see Death Cab though, just the opening band, Sara and Tegan. I've never heard of them, but apparently they're "big" and from Canada (that's probably why). They brought an interesting bunch of people. I felt bad for another band that got canceled.

Due to the crazy weather we've had here in Utah Valley--rain, hail, Antarctica temperatures--there was a delay. They didn't start letting people in until close to 7 pm (and the line was long, I bet they were as grumpy as the Stephenie Meyer people, but I wouldn't know because I was still guarding the "secure area"). Death Cab didn't come on until about 8:30 pm. I was able to leave the secure area to go watch the concert, but some couple with a baby decided to start nursing the poor cold thing in front of me (did I mention it was really cold outside). So I left, and switched posts with someone else, and started taking tickets while the girl I replaced took pictures.

It was so cold, my hands were numb, and I couldn't tear the ticket stubs off. Some people were getting impatient with me, and helped me out by giving me their stub, and then on one person's ticket I tore off the wrong perforated end of the ticket. It was a fun night though. I got to hear my favorite song (because it mentions Bangkok) "I Will Follow You Into the Dark" from the ticket area, but I was still happy! (for some strange reason I have a new attitude about things, I don't get so worked up about stuff anymore, except for bad Utah drivers) Oh, did I mention that Lehi has a 10 pm curfew?! Yeah so people started leaving before Death Cab was finished, but obviously I stayed to the end. I also thought that there would be no point because there was a long line to get out, but I went the back way (suckas) and got home sooner. I stopped at Chili's and got some soup, that really warmed me up!

2 comments:

Williams Family Dirt said...

Never heard of this band before?? Did you go to Chili's with anyone??

Kerri Russell said...

Yes you have--they've been around for a long time (since the 90s)They sing the song "I will Follow You Into the Dark," and "Soul Meets Body."