On the Title

Roi-Et a.k.a. "101" is a city in the northeast of Thailand. I spent more than "One Night in Bangkok," and was on my way to Roi-Et. It wasn't my final destination in Thailand, but the place where I grew the most. I gained a tolerance for spicy food, and learned a little dialect called Essan-- a mixture of Laos and Thai. I learned that it's not the destination but the journey that matters. Just as random as my adventures were in Thailand, so is my life--it's like living in L.A. (oh by the way L.A. is another nickname for Roi-Et).

Monday, March 31, 2008

My Teaching Premier

Last week I had a scary experience. I practiced being a teacher. It was scary because I wasn't as prepared as I should have been. I finished my lesson midnight the night before, and didn't really have time to practice, and go through the lesson. It started out well, and then I started to talk about themes in The Glass Menagerie. I was hoping that by talking about the controversial life of Tennessee Williams that would loosen the students up, but not in "Happy Valley," Utah (Jessica Biel says the movie is a "must see!"). After I bombed the second-half, I talked to the teacher and she told me that they aren't use to me, and don't know how to respond. The class is quite talkative with Mrs. Peterson (the real teacher). I tried to relax, but it's really hard when people just sit there and stare at you. I tend to be very honest when I am nervous (Mrs. P noticed and put it in my evaluation).

So I prepared better on Thursday, and added a weapon to my arsenal--candy! It still didn't work. I just hope that my class will respond better to me.

There is a quote by Julie B. Beck, that has more to do with being a mother, that helped me get out of my slump. It helped me get focused, and remember why I want to teach, "[I] gain[s] as much education as [my] circumstances will allow, improving [my] mind and spirit with the desire to teach what [I] learn[s] to the generations who follow [me]."* It's inherent! Teaching is in my blood. It's natural. It's what I am suppose to do.

Another reason why I want to be a teacher is because I get 3 months off a year! (This is where I would say, "Sucka!")

*I individualized the quote (kinda like what we do with the scriptures!) that's why there are brackets.

3 comments:

Williams Family Dirt said...

The teacher is right, not only are the student's not used to you, you are not used to teaching. You will find your nitch...keep preparing your lessons and focus and the methods you have learned to make your lessons successful. One day, it will all click and all will be well. Don't use candy too much!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Kerri! Hehehehe, I second the 3 month off thing - SUCKAS!!!

classic.

Oh yeah. Some classes, like people, are as bright as a bag of hammers. Don't stress it.

Jen Wolff said...

oh the days where everything you do in the classroom is under a microscope!I don't miss it. Kana's right, be prepared and everything will work out.