On the Title

Roi-Et a.k.a. "101" is a city in the northeast of Thailand. I spent more than "One Night in Bangkok," and was on my way to Roi-Et. It wasn't my final destination in Thailand, but the place where I grew the most. I gained a tolerance for spicy food, and learned a little dialect called Essan-- a mixture of Laos and Thai. I learned that it's not the destination but the journey that matters. Just as random as my adventures were in Thailand, so is my life--it's like living in L.A. (oh by the way L.A. is another nickname for Roi-Et).

Monday, March 10, 2008

How Breaking My Eardrum Renewed My "Sparkle"


When I was little my sister broke my eardrum. The details aren't worth mentioning (they might embarrass her), but she accidentally--really purposely--pushed a q-tip (that I put there) further into my ear than it needed to be. My mom was livid. My pediatrician was out of town, so a younger doctor prescribed ear drops, which by the way tastes nasty, and he didn't say there were birdies in my ear like my doctor would say (and not because they got out through the hole in my ear).

The point of this is because today I had an amazing experience in my Exceptional Students class that reminded me of why I want[ed] to be a teacher. It brought the "sparkle" back in my eyes.

We discussed students with hearing loss, and so we talked about ear anatomy, and it was really cool! (We also talked about blindness which reminded me of my blind grandma, and the hearing loss reminded me of my other grandma.) I love this class, and every time we learn about some new disorder or disability I diagnose myself as having that. (This time, though, I didn't diagnose myself with a visual or auditory disability, yeah me!)

I learned how the outer, middle, and inner ear works and its parts: hammer, anvil, and stirrup, eustachian tube, and cochlea. It was fascinating!

So, now I am excited about being a teacher again!

8 comments:

Michael Russell said...

Kerri, when did this eardrum situation happen? I remember broken wrist, collarbone, tear in upper mouth with pencil-- but no eardrum. Which sister? Please let me know.


Dad
p.s. nice blog

Kerri Russell said...

The same sister that broke my arm--Kiahna. I think it was when I was in the first grade.

Williams Family Dirt said...

Dad it was me, don't you remember?? I can tell you the details later, it is sort of embarassing, it was also my fault she broke her wrist. They were both accidents!!

I am glad that I am part of the reason you have found your "sparkle" again! =)

Williams Family Dirt said...

Kerri you there?? We posted at the same time!!

Kerri Russell said...

yeah isn't that funny!

Williams Family Dirt said...

BTW do you ever post a comment on my blog!!!

Kerri Russell said...

yeah...sure I do!

Jen Wolff said...

I knew it was Kiahna!!!