On the Title

Roi-Et a.k.a. "101" is a city in the northeast of Thailand. I spent more than "One Night in Bangkok," and was on my way to Roi-Et. It wasn't my final destination in Thailand, but the place where I grew the most. I gained a tolerance for spicy food, and learned a little dialect called Essan-- a mixture of Laos and Thai. I learned that it's not the destination but the journey that matters. Just as random as my adventures were in Thailand, so is my life--it's like living in L.A. (oh by the way L.A. is another nickname for Roi-Et).

Thursday, February 28, 2008

Ice Skating In the Parking Lot In My UGGS

I had a fun experience sometime last week that I am reminded of on a daily basis (at least until my scar goes away). I think it is the universe that is telling me that maybe I am not suppose to be a teacher. Accidents seem to happen to me whenever I walk to, or from the Education Building (EB) at UVSC.

I use to live in the LA Building (Liberal Arts) while I was taking all my English classes, and I still do (thanks to my favorite job!), but now I have to walk outside in the ice and snow to get to the EB. A serious hazard to my health!

On that fateful day after class I walked back to the LA to start work, and I slipped in ice (I thought I could make it through in my UGGS, I had on my way to the EB). A girl in army fatigues walked by and asked if I was alright, but kept walking. I told her I was fine, and the fact that I was laughing about it she probably thought I would be fine, and I thought so too . . . I didn't realize how hard it is to get up in the middle of an ice puddle without falling down again. Remember I have my bookbag full of books (I bet I looked really funny falling, if only I had the ability to have an outer body experience to see it happening!), and it was really awkward trying to get up. I rolled around for a little bit, and eventually got up, and stepped away from the ice. I continued to walk, and I looked down and saw that I was bleeding, and my skin was peeled back. I walked faster to get to the building.

Thank goodness that the restroom was close to the entrance! My hand stung until I got inside (and after). When I got to the office I tried to play nurse and put gauze and tape on it, but that didn't work, mainly because I am not a very good nurse, and the wound is in an awkward place. Finally we found a huge band-aid that fit over it nicely, but it didn't stay on very well either (just a little better than the gauze). So I just never wore band-aids or gauze again because it is futile. I felt a little self-conscious of my wound, so I try not to wave my left hand around--thank goodness for the right hand.

Another time somebody dropped me off by the LA Building, and I got my thumb stuck in the
door. I still can't figure out which is worse, not having a hand or a thumb. You never know how important a thumb is until you lose one! (Opposable thumbs are great!) And, even though my UGGS failed me that day I still love my UGGS! They keep my feet so warm!



1 comment:

Jen Wolff said...

That sucks!!! Did you at least go to the doctor??? No, it is not a sign!! Keep plugging away! I hear graduation is approaching, WooHoo!