On the Title

Roi-Et a.k.a. "101" is a city in the northeast of Thailand. I spent more than "One Night in Bangkok," and was on my way to Roi-Et. It wasn't my final destination in Thailand, but the place where I grew the most. I gained a tolerance for spicy food, and learned a little dialect called Essan-- a mixture of Laos and Thai. I learned that it's not the destination but the journey that matters. Just as random as my adventures were in Thailand, so is my life--it's like living in L.A. (oh by the way L.A. is another nickname for Roi-Et).

Monday, February 25, 2008

Harry Potter vs. Twilight

Have you ever felt like you were betraying your favorite artist by actually enjoying their competition, for example M.C. Hammer v. Vanilla Ice, or N*SYNC v. Backstreet Boys. It feels like you're helping the other team win (more money), or gain more popularity. You can't like both. Well that's how I felt after I read the Twilight series in a weekend. (Yeah, I actually read Twilight, New Moon, and Eclipse during President's Day weekend, and stayed up until 5:30 am Monday morning reading Eclipse, and slept for 2 hours, and only ate a pickle and a slice of Grandma Sycamore's Bread.) I felt like I was betraying Harry Potter by enjoying Twilight (only the parts with Edward), but that wasn't the case.

So, I've come to the conclusion that you can like both, and I do for different reasons. It's not a case of being torn between "two masters," but supporting the starving artists. All I have to say is that Breaking Dawn better have Edward in it.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I SO agree with you. I felt the same way. I love both, but for different reasons. I still think that my love of Twilight may wane, but never Harry Potter.