On the Title

Roi-Et a.k.a. "101" is a city in the northeast of Thailand. I spent more than "One Night in Bangkok," and was on my way to Roi-Et. It wasn't my final destination in Thailand, but the place where I grew the most. I gained a tolerance for spicy food, and learned a little dialect called Essan-- a mixture of Laos and Thai. I learned that it's not the destination but the journey that matters. Just as random as my adventures were in Thailand, so is my life--it's like living in L.A. (oh by the way L.A. is another nickname for Roi-Et).

Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Subbing Is Not as Easy as It Looks

Last Thursday was the first time I subbed (and I just barely recooperated) and it was interesting to say the least. I subbed in the fourth grade for half-a-day, I started after lunch and went until the end of the day. I was able to meet the teacher and watch how she does things, so that was nice to see how to run an elementary classroom, seeing how I don't know. My experience has been with teenagers, and while I am sure kids no matter what age group will act up for subs, I can handle teens-- they just kinda check out.

The kids were sweet and liked me (I think) but they were all over the place. They tattle, touch each other, can't sit still, tell me how to do things, do the pee pee dance (when they don't have to pee), ask to go to the bathroom or get a drink (right after lunch or recess), get bloody noses, get their feelings hurt, waste time, tell me unnecessary stories, and need a lot of personal attention. It's a mess, and I don't have the patience for it, and maybe they picked up on it because there were a few times that I got frustrated and barked at them. Before P.E. I asked them to sit silently for a minute so I could gain some sanity, and I wanted to see if they could be quiet, but after 20 seconds I got bored.

I have a new respect for elementary teachers, it is a tough job. They have to be nice to other people's children. They have to be like moms and dads and doctors and nurses. They have to deal with a lot of issues that they aren't necessarily trained to deal with--like bloody noses, how does that happen randomly?--and look good at the same time. They have to be nurturing and deal with hurt feelings--telling them to suck it up doesn't fly for these keds. Teachers just don't teach and that's never been in their job description. It's not like doctors or lawyers or engineers, where they just focus on one job or one skill, teachers have to multi-task and be everything at once. It's a tough gig, but someone has to teach the lawyers and doctors and engineers and businessmen to do what they do.

I'm glad it wasn't a full day, I don't think I could have handled it very well, but the kids survived. . . and I'm still here!

2 comments:

Williams Family Dirt said...

Amen...so many people focus on the curriculum woes, politcs, and negatives of education, that they don't realize what teachers accomplish in a day!

I wonder sometimes how I managed to teach as long as I did when you really think about what goes on in a day. And honestly you can tell a fourth grader to suck it up if they are tattling for no reason, you just have to be tactful and kind about it. You really just need to remember the "age-appropriate" behaviors while subbing, then it won't drive you as batty. Just wait when a kindergarten or first graders tells you you are doing something wrong. That takes patience, but they are just so in love with their teacher no one can do it as well as her...get my drift!

Subbing is hard, but think about how easy the money is--well sort of! Hang in there, and remember to always have a few games or activities up your sleeve in case the teacher doesn't leave plans...sometimes that happens!!

Anne said...

I couldn't do it!