On the Title

Roi-Et a.k.a. "101" is a city in the northeast of Thailand. I spent more than "One Night in Bangkok," and was on my way to Roi-Et. It wasn't my final destination in Thailand, but the place where I grew the most. I gained a tolerance for spicy food, and learned a little dialect called Essan-- a mixture of Laos and Thai. I learned that it's not the destination but the journey that matters. Just as random as my adventures were in Thailand, so is my life--it's like living in L.A. (oh by the way L.A. is another nickname for Roi-Et).

Friday, February 6, 2009

Everything I've learned in Life I Learned From TV

Last February a romantic comedy about a girl who is always a bridesmaid and never a bride came out. I was somewhat interested, since I will watch any chick flick and love it (except for Knotting Hill, I still can't watch that movie and want to stay awake for the ending), but alas, I felt somewhat indifferent about the movie. Then one day, I must have been watching something really fascinating because I didn't fast forward through the commercials, which I can't do anyways because I just have basic cable, and a preview for 27 Dresses came on, and they were playing my, then, favorite song "No One" by Alicia Keyes, and it was at that moment I had a strong desire to see the movie.

This made me think about the effect music has on us. I would say that I am more of a visual person, that is why I love watching movies and reading books--I create my own visual image from the words, if the author is good--but similar to how
our sense of smell and taste are connected together, so are our sense of sight and hearing (that may not be scientifically accurate, but for the sake of argument just go with it). The other day I was "facebooking," and I saw an ad for the movie he's just not that into you, and so I decided to watch it. As I was watching it one of my new favorite songs was playing in the background "Love, Save the Empty" by Erin McCarley. It was at that point that I had a crazy desire to see the movie. Months ago, when I first saw the preview, I thought this could be a movie I would enjoy, and maybe it was because the song was in the preview the whole time and I didn't know it because I just barely discovered the song, and the other day when I was watching the preview the song really stuck out. I don't know, it seems the song really fits the theme of the movie, and the music hits my soul. This time my sense of hearing came in handy, especially for the producers of the movie because if they played another song, or didn't play anything at all, I probably would not go see it.

Now, I am interested in finding out how music effects people, like how music changed my emotions from indifference to desire. I also want to study people's facial expressions and body language to detect their emotions thanks to Lie to Me. See! Television doesn't rot the brain!

No comments: