On the Title

Roi-Et a.k.a. "101" is a city in the northeast of Thailand. I spent more than "One Night in Bangkok," and was on my way to Roi-Et. It wasn't my final destination in Thailand, but the place where I grew the most. I gained a tolerance for spicy food, and learned a little dialect called Essan-- a mixture of Laos and Thai. I learned that it's not the destination but the journey that matters. Just as random as my adventures were in Thailand, so is my life--it's like living in L.A. (oh by the way L.A. is another nickname for Roi-Et).

Sunday, April 27, 2008

A Surreal Moment

surreal: sur·re·al
\sə-ˈrē(-ə)l also -ˈrā-əl\
marked by the intense irrational reality of a dream; also : unbelievable, fantastic.

This is pretty much how I felt on Friday April 25, 2008. My dream of graduating from college finally happened, and it is definitely a weird sensation. In the moment I was fine, but when I thought about what was really going on it was unbelievable.

My 20+ year career as a student (I can't say that anymore on applications) is over. **sigh** But there is always grad school!! **yeah**

Now that I have my degree in my hot little hand (and I can finally say I have a BA, honestly, on my resume) does that mean that the last 20 years have been a dream?! Or when the school handed me my empty diploma case?! For people who have served an LDS mission, and come home you kinda know how I feel--did I really do that? was I really in the places I was? did I see all the crazy stuff I saw?

Yes, these moments are all surreal!

THE ABOVE PAINTING IS CALLED "THE SON OF MAN" BY RENE MAGRITTE, A SURREALIST PAINTER. IT IS ONE OF MY FAVORITE PAINTINGS FROM THIS PERIOD/MOVEMENT OF THE 20TH CENTURY. TO SEE HIS WORKS, AND OTHER ARTISTS' CHECK OUT THIS COOL WEBSITE

1 comment:

Williams Family Dirt said...

We are proud of you! Now go get a job already!