On the Title

Roi-Et a.k.a. "101" is a city in the northeast of Thailand. I spent more than "One Night in Bangkok," and was on my way to Roi-Et. It wasn't my final destination in Thailand, but the place where I grew the most. I gained a tolerance for spicy food, and learned a little dialect called Essan-- a mixture of Laos and Thai. I learned that it's not the destination but the journey that matters. Just as random as my adventures were in Thailand, so is my life--it's like living in L.A. (oh by the way L.A. is another nickname for Roi-Et).

Sunday, April 13, 2008

Finally...the Story Everybody's Waiting to Hear

This week I went to NCUR in Salisbury, MD. It's to make nerds feel special. . . vindicated. Some eventful things happened to me, but I wouldn't be me if it didn't. My scheduled time to present the paper (I have been working on slavishly all semester) was moved from Saturday at 12 something to Friday at 3:40, so it was good that I didn't have to present on the shuttle on the way to the airport. My crabs wouldn't crack open, making it very hard for me to eat them, and causing all the juice to squirt on the people at my table. I had to check into the late registration desk taking an extra 10 minutes instead of a quick 30 seconds. On the way back I got in trouble with security at the airport because of my water bottle (I probably wouldn't want to drink it after all the radiation from the scanner) honestly I didn't want to cause trouble. The night before we left I remembered my camera after I zipped up my suitcase and was laying in bed (excited or nervous about missing the flight); I started looking for it and couldn't find it so I had to buy an $11 disposable camera. Thursday, the first day, I decided to dress up just in case I got bumped up to the first day (yeah right!) I wore my heels and got blisters, it's a good thing I prepared and brought my flats with me (and a change of clothes). . . . What else . . . well I guess that is all I can think of for now, but really I had a great time.

I didn't get to eat blue crab (or whatever it is that people get excited about in MD) because they weren't in season, but I did eat red crab (I guess) and lobster tails.

The whole experience was cool, and I wish that I went to a school with a pretty campus--pretty buildings, pretty flowers, and . . . just pretty all over.

You know if all that "truer than fiction" stuff didn't happen to me my life would be very dull, and nobody would care about reading it on my blog. I just have to say that sometimes being a nerd, a dork, a clutz, a goofball, quirky, random, and loveable pays off!

No comments: