On the Title

Roi-Et a.k.a. "101" is a city in the northeast of Thailand. I spent more than "One Night in Bangkok," and was on my way to Roi-Et. It wasn't my final destination in Thailand, but the place where I grew the most. I gained a tolerance for spicy food, and learned a little dialect called Essan-- a mixture of Laos and Thai. I learned that it's not the destination but the journey that matters. Just as random as my adventures were in Thailand, so is my life--it's like living in L.A. (oh by the way L.A. is another nickname for Roi-Et).

Sunday, August 26, 2012

Christina Perri Songs Are Not Depressing...They're the Story of My Life

This past week at work, I would consider a "lazy week" because I was doing a lot of testing and little to nothing of teaching. I told my students that if they were good, and stayed on task I would play background music; some of them actually work better with music--it's the generation of ADD due to electronic devices--most of my classes did a good job, and there were a few classes with 1 or 2 students that didn't want music, and the students that wanted music claimed majority rules, yeah right my classroom is not a democracy--like I'm going to let teenagers tell me how to run my class HAH!--it needs to be unanimous in order for the music to be played; they suggested to "just send those kids [the ones that didn't want music] out," no way! those are the good ones, and sending students out of the room is a punishment not a reward for good behavior, my reward to the good students is just being left alone--I think they appreciate that more.

One of those days, a song that I love, "Jar of Hearts" by Christina Perri, came on. My TA told me it was depressing and should change it. I told him to leave my iPod alone. "Come on. You're happy, this is a depressing song." Again, I had to tell him "DON'T touch my iPod. This is my song." I will admit it isn't an upbeat song, but it doesn't make me sad. I feel like it empowers me. She's talking about not letting a "contemptible male"(feel free to fill in whatever slang/swear term you wish that fits this description; I like the word that is French for shower, the Brits like the "w" word") steal your heart, put it in a jar, and store it on his "shelf of conquests." I like the video, it actually tells a story that fits the lyrics, and it's raw, you feel what she's feeling.

Not all of Perri's songs are depressing. "Arms" is a good one that makes me feel warm and fuzzy inside; it talks about letting someone in after a series of heartache and putting up walls to keep people out, but that person whose arms are around you, is the one that makes you feel safe and like your heart is protected. But, my new favorite Perri song is a collaboration with Jason Mraz (he does awesome collaborations, "Lucky" anyone?) called "Distance." I don't know. I guess she sings what I'm feeling, when I'm feeling it. It's kind of like if you were to make a movie about my life that tells the story of just this past year, it would be on the soundtrack. Amaaazing! Right?! How does she do it?


No comments: