On the Title

Roi-Et a.k.a. "101" is a city in the northeast of Thailand. I spent more than "One Night in Bangkok," and was on my way to Roi-Et. It wasn't my final destination in Thailand, but the place where I grew the most. I gained a tolerance for spicy food, and learned a little dialect called Essan-- a mixture of Laos and Thai. I learned that it's not the destination but the journey that matters. Just as random as my adventures were in Thailand, so is my life--it's like living in L.A. (oh by the way L.A. is another nickname for Roi-Et).

Friday, January 21, 2011

What Is This Really About?

One of my facebook friends from college current status is a quote from the hilarious show Community (by far one of the funniest shows ever, like up there with Arrested Development), but he didn't stop there. He continued to post quotes from the show, and they are all definitely funny. Of course I added my "hahaha!" in there (in case you didn't know I disdain "lol" and never use it because it is overused,  most of the time, inappropriately--I burned my finger lol. My boyfriend cheated on me lol. I gave you herpes lol, ok so that one is appropriately used but you get the drift, and I also don't like it because people are really saying laugh[ing] out loud, come on we really don't say that in a conversation you just laugh so why not use the onomatopoeia for laughing "haha?"), and another guy just clicked on "Like." That is not enough.

Why doesn't facebook offer a "Love" button. Like is not intense enough. It's a weak emotion. It's noncommital. It's like saying "Meh. I don't love, but I don't hate." And that is not how we should talk to our friends. We need to love what they do, or hate it, and we tell them that to their faces ... sometimes. . .  right?! And we especially "Love" everything about Community.
Jeff Winger's snarky comments. Abed's infatuation with John Hughes and pop culture--he's like "I see your value now" Rainman. Brita who tries to be extreme and nonconformist when she really isn't. Pierce who is creepy, and oblivious to his creepiness. Shirley, sweet Shirley, who explodes if you badmouth Jesus (and I agree with her). Annie, who has her panties wound so tightly that she is one explosion short of an aneurism. Finally, Troy, the jock he's too. . .  ambidextrous . . .  I mean ambiguous.
Yes, last night's episode was funny, and I have been waiting forever for new ones, one can only watch the stop-motion Christmas special for so long to fill the void, and in case you were wondering I thought it was the most Christmasy Christmas episode of any show Fall season.

So, yes I wanted to "Love" all the comments my friend made because they were more than just "meh." Oh, and Facebook doesn't have a "Hate" button either.

No comments: